British Columbia New Democratic Party
Minority Government elected May 9, 2017
Minister Responsible for Public Transit
- Claire Trevena (Transportation and Infrastructure)
Political and Electoral News
- NDP minority government governing with the support of three Green MLAs.
Funding and Program Announcements
- Budget 2018 implemented several measures to make ferries more affordable, including a fare freeze on three major routes, a 15 per cent fare decrease on small routes and discounted rates for seniors some days of the week.
- Metro Vancouver Mayors and the provincial government have recently approved a 1.5 per cent increase in the gas tax to help pay for transit projects such as Surrey’s LRT and the Millennium Line extension.
- Starting in 2019, the province of British Columbia will receive more than $2.69B over ten years in federal funding for public transit infrastructure.
- The Public Transit Infrastructure Fund will invest $460M of federal funding for transit in British Columbia