Nova Scotia Liberal Party
Majority Government elected May 30, 2017
Minister Responsible for Public Transit
- Chuck Porter (Municipal Affairs)
Funding and Program Announcements
- The Nova Scotia’s Department of Community Services and Halifax Transit recently launched a two-year pilot project to provide transit passes to approximately 16,800 people living on income assistance in the Halifax Regional Municipality. The Department will invest $5.5 million in the program this year.
- The Department of Seniors granted $10,000 to the Antigonish Community Transit bus to develop the "Lessons on the Bus" program and introduce people to transit as well as community resources and activities.
- Nova Scotia received $32.5 million under the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF) to support 15 projects across the province.
- A bilateral infrastructure agreement signed between Ottawa and Nova Scotia allocates $290 million over ten years in federal funding for public transit infrastructure.
- The Halifax Regional Municipality allocated $500,000 in its 2018-19 transit budget to develop a commuter rail system plan.