2019 CUTA Leadership Awards
CUTA honours recipients for excellence and innovation in the transit industry
Calgary, ALBERTA – (November 14, 2019) At a prestigious awards ceremony, as part of the Canadian Urban Transit Association’s Annual Conference in Calgary, many transit systems, organizations and individuals were recognized for their contributions to the industry.
“We’re here today to celebrate those who make our industry successful – people who have gone about their daily work delivering high-quality transit services and products, and the leaders who have had the vision, tenacity, and courage to make public transit work in our cities and towns,” said Christopher Prentice, Chair of CUTA’s Awards Committee and emcee of the awards ceremony.
In a surprise ending to the ceremony, Mr. Prentice was inducted into the CUTA Hall of Fame (William G. Ross Lifetime Achievement Award) along with four other distinguished leaders who have dedicated their careers to shaping the industry.
CUTA Hall of Fame inductees from left to right: John King, Steve New, Christopher Prentice, Sean Rathwell and Robert Olivier
Close to 300 people attended the ceremony, where CUTA presented a record 24 awards in both corporate and individual leadership categories.
Corporate Leadership Awards 2019
Safety and Security
- London Transit Commission – Mental Health Strategy
- Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC) - Environmental certification
- Société de transport de Montréal (STM) – Métro car recycling
- City of Belleville Transit in collaboration with Pantonium Inc. – On-demand transit initiative
- St. Catharines Transit Commission – Mobile ticketing
- York Region Transit (YRT) – Mobility on-request
Marketing and Communications
- MiWay – “On MiWay” youth campaign
- New Flyer – Electric bus branding
- Société de transport de Laval (STL) – New branding concept
- Société de transport de Montréal (STM) – Employee recruitment strategy
- Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - #ThisIsWhere Anti-harassment campaign
Individual Leadership Awards 2019
- Yvan Coulombe – Réseau de transport de la Capitale (RTC)
- Charles Pearson – Edmonton Transit Service (ETS)
- François Carrière – Réseau de transport de Longueuil (RTL)
- Benoît Clairoux – Société de transport de Montréal (STM)
- Scott Gillner – Brampton Transit
- Mike Landry – Brampton Transit
Edward J. Dowling Distinguished Service
- Wayne Mandryk
William G. Ross Lifetime Achievement
- Steve New
- John King – JMK Consulting
- Robert Olivier – Société de transport de Montréal (STM)
- Sean Rathwell – Dillon Consulting Limited
- Christopher Prentice, IBI Group
Visit CUTA’s awards webpage for more information about award winners.
The Canadian Urban Transit Association is the collective and influential voice of public transportation in Canada. CUTA’s membership includes the majority of Canadian transit systems, private transport operators and transit leaders from across the country. CUTA is uniquely positioned to work with all levels of government to provide industry insights on key transit policy issues affecting Canadians and their communities.
416-365-9800 ext. 119
Canadian Urban Transit Association (CUTA)