- Construction to start in April 2018
- Groupe NouvLR and Groupe des Partenaires pour la Mobilité des Montréalais (PMM) are the winning consortia
The Réseau express métropolitain project officially launches
CDPQ Infra announced today the official launch of its project to build largest public transportation network in Greater Montréal in 50 years: the Réseau express métropolitain (REM).
Less than two years after the project was announced, the REM becomes a reality:
- Construction will start in April.
- Initial testing will be conducted at the end of 2020.
- The first riders will begin boarding in the summer of 2021.
Thanks to close collaboration with its partners, CDPQ Infra developed innovative solutions to achieve its objectives:
- Construction of a sustainable, high-quality public transportation system with high frequency and quick travel times.
- Met the $0.72/passenger-km cost target, which the ARTM will use to set it rates.
- Kept within announced financial parameters, with construction costs of $6.3 billion, a less than 5% variation from the preliminary estimates.
- No additional contribution from governments and the same estimated return levels.
Following the rigorous analysis of the proposals received, the winning consortia are:
Infrastructure engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract
- SNC Lavalin Grands Projets Inc.
- Dragados Canada Inc.
- Groupe Aecon Québec Ltée
- Pomerleau Inc.
- EBC Inc.
Participants (NouvLR Conception):
- SNC Lavalin Inc.
- Aecom Consultants Inc.
Provision of rolling stock and systems and operation and maintenance (RSSOM) contract
Groupe des Partenaires pour la Mobilité des Montréalais (PMM)
- Alstom Transport Canada Inc.
- SNC-Lavalin O&M Inc.
The two selected consortia will harmonize their respective proposals in the next few months to finalize the details of the schedule and begin work in the spring.
The integrity, fairness, probity and transparency of the process were confirmed by the independent committee comprised of three members external to CDPQ Infra and la Caisse – Me William J. Atkinson, Ph.D., Ad. E., the Honourable Me Marie Deschamps, C.C., Ad. E., former justice of the Supreme Court of Canada and corporate director, and Jean-Pierre Desrosiers, C.M., FCPA, FCA, corporate director. External auditors also monitored each step. Their certifications are available for review.
Throughout the call for tenders process, the companies involved in the competition produced high quality work and they demonstrated openness, which led to today’s results. CDPQ Infra would like to thank them for their hard work.