City of Whitehorse
Manager, Transit Services
The incumbent ensures the provision of public/specialized transit services for the City of Whitehorse.
Specific Tasks Include
1. Manages the operations of the Transit Department to ensure performance measures are achieved and utilization is maximized through effective planning and operations for both the conventional fixed route system and specialized Handy Bus service for persons with disabilities. Manages and administers the Yukon Government Contribution Agreement.
2. Recruits, directs, coaches, motivates and appraises direct reporting staff, and through delegation, all departmental staff.
3. Undertakes major studies and develops strategies and policies to enhance effective and efficient transit services in response to the needs of the community including the provision for adequate staffing requirements.
4. Plans, designs and develops new routing systems in conjunction with other City Departments to meet the needs of newly developed neighborhoods.
5. Prepares and controls the Transit Department’s annual operating and capital budgets.
6. Ensures, so far as reasonably practicable, the safety procedures and standards are followed by personnel throughout the department.
7. Devises and implements, in conjunction with the community, new programs and services and initiates and monitors marketing and promotional plans including those related to advertising, user fees and other revenue sources such as special events.
8. Prepare and evaluates tenders, quotation, proposal calls and reports and awards or recommends awards in accordance with the City's Purchasing Policy.
9. Manages internal committees including Joint Labour Management Relations Committee and Scheduling and represents the City’s interests on external committees.
10. Acts as Director of Community and Recreational Services as assigned.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.