Transit Planning for Sustainable Communities
CUTA’s Transit Planning for Sustainable Communities training program has been revamped as a virtual program with online facilitation. This course can be offered as an introductory or full-course based on learner demand.
Introductory Course Overview
An introductory course on transit planning, ideal for participants interested in transit planning or looking to learn more about transit planners, but don’t need the full technical instruction of how to design systems. The introductory course is approximately 8 hours in duration and delivered in two virtual sessions with online facilitation.
Interested in the Transit Planning for Sustainable Communities course? Register below using EventBrite to begin.Register now
Full Course Overview
The full transit planning course focused on practical application of skills and tools necessary to excel in transit planning, ideal for new transit planners or experienced transit planners looking to update their skills with new and innovative concepts. The full course includes online facilitation, group exercises, and Remix software integration for learning purposes.
- Introduction to Transit Planning
- Transit Demand and Supply
- Transit Service Planning
- Transit and Land Use Integration
- Integrated Mobility and Transit Costing
- Special Topics
Transit Planning Learnings Outcomes
- Transit Planning Theory: Understand the broader outcomes that transit planners and municipal officials should aim to achieve, and how transit contributes to these outcomes.
- Transit Supply: Understand the capital and operating requirements needed to run a transit system.
- Transit Demand: Understand the basics of transit demand and the factors that translate into ridership, including forecasting tools.
- Service Design: Learn about service design concepts in urban and rural environments, including fixed-route and On Demand transit. Learn how to design a transit network through a hands-on team assignment.
- Land Use and Integrated Mobility: Understand how transit is related to land use and the broader mobility network.
- Costing: Understand operating and capital cost considerations required to run a system.
- Performance Measures and Monitoring: Learn how to develop key performance indicators that align with broader municipal goals, and the tools in place to monitor performance.
- Presentation Skills: How to present a service plan to senior staff and councilors, and the right messages to convey to different audiences.
The course is approximately 36 hours in duration taught over the course of several virtual sessions. This training course is delivered in English only.Request training