Transit Planning for Sustainable Communities
February 5 - February 29CA$3,200
Virtual transit planning course focused on practical application of skills and tools necessary to excel in transit planning.
Course is offered over nine sessions:
CUTA’s transit planning course is focused on practical application of skills and tools necessary to excel in transit planning, ideal for new transit planners or experienced transit planners looking to update their skills with new and innovative concepts.
The course content is organized into nine modules and includes online facilitation. This course includes Remix software integration to improve the understand of transit planning.
CUTA members are offered a discounted rate. Please contact us for your member promo code if you do not have one already.
This course is delivered in English only. All times listed are in Eastern Time.
1. Introduction to Transit Planning*
2. Transit Demand / Service Guidelines
3. Transit Supply Part 1
4. Transit Supply Part 2 / Transit Service Planning
5. Transit Supportive Land Use Planning
6. Integrated Mobility and Transit Finance
7. Monitoring and Reporting
8. Special Topics and Preparation for Final Presentation
9. Final Presentation
*CUTA also offers an introductory version of this course where only Module 1: Introduction to Transit Planning is covered. Visit the event page for the intro course to learn more.
Transit Planning Learnings Outcomes
- Transit Planning Theory: Understand the broader outcomes that transit planners and municipal officials should aim to achieve, and how transit contributes to these outcomes.
- Transit Supply: Understand the capital and operating requirements needed to run a transit system.
- Transit Demand: Understand the basics of transit demand and the factors that translate into ridership, including forecasting tools.
- Service Design: Learn about service design concepts in urban and rural environments, including fixed-route and On Demand transit. Learn how to design a transit network through a hands-on team assignment.
- Land Use and Integrated Mobility: Understand how transit is related to land use and the broader mobility network.
- Costing: Understand operating and capital cost considerations required to run a system.
- Performance Measures and Monitoring: Learn how to develop key performance indicators that align with broader municipal goals, and the tools in place to monitor performance.
- Presentation Skills: How to present a service plan to senior staff and councilors, and the right messages to convey to different audiences.