Post Date: August 16, 2022
Application Deadline: August 31, 2022
- Provides guidance, supervision, information and leadership to maintenance staff, mechanics, operators/ drivers (in house and contracted), and indirectly to dispatchers and scheduling coordinators.
- Completes performance documentation/appraisals and participates in disciplinary meetings where required
- Responsible to hire, train and onboard new staff and ensure existing staff are kept current on industry technical requirements and legislative changes, as well as divisional goals and objectives.
- Oversees day-to-day vehicle and equipment maintenance activities and provides ongoing updates to the Manager.
- Problem solves and mediates conflicting, unexpected, and unusual problems involving multiple groups and provides direction and leadership in related functions of vehicle and equipment maintenance as well as trip operation, indirectly dispatching and scheduling.
- Establishes appropriate policies and procedures for the sections and ensures these are updated or changed as required to meet the service plan and strategic goals.
- Partners with other internal groups, Regional departments, transit systems, vendors and external agencies as required to ensure efficient passenger service levels.
- Identifies and corrects system efficiencies, deals with emergency situations, maintenance disruptions, technology disruptions and employee issues.
- Ensures adherence to applicable legislation and agreements, fostering positive labour relations.
- Responsible for providing consultative advice on compliance matters, employee relations and operational planning.
- Ensures standards are maintained and all regulatory and collective agreement clauses are complied with.
- Oversees the efficient and effective repair, cleaning and maintenance operations of fleet while ensuring adequate vehicle availability to meet service level demand and adapts stringent standards of vehicle repair.
- Checks work performance for compliance to legislated requirements and safe operations.
- Monitors performance and productivity of repair processes to ensure maximization of labour and material resources, reporting variances and makes appropriate recommendations for quality assurance.
- Formulates vehicle repair and modification campaigns, planning maintenance schedules and makes recommendations for increasing efficiency and reducing costs.
- Oversees the efficient and effective coordination of all accessible transit trips daily through dispatch and scheduling staff providing support and customer service to TransHelp Operators/ Drivers, contracted service providers, external agencies and accessible transportation passengers.
- Jointly investigates employee and passenger incidents, accidents and complaints in conjunction with supervisors from other sections and provides recommendations and enforces corrective action as required.
- Assists with the strategic focus and goal setting within the division and keeps abreast of trends and develops best practices that will provide superior maintenance and operations.
- Monitors, controls and assists in preparing annual budget for vehicles.
- Approves tenders and specification for vehicles and equipment and authorizes all purchases related to maintenance and supplier invoices for payment.
- Responsible for managing the vehicle capital budget, vehicle maintenance operating budget and the dispatch operating budget and associated financial record keeping.
- Initiates and coordinates operating and capital forecasts, monitors budget and recommends changes, as required, while assuring that relevant linkages exist between budget requests and departmental goals and objectives.
- Responsible to deliver and maintain a current and comprehensive compliance management system in Transit and Transportation.
- Work with Fleet Safety and Training department to develop, improve and plan training programs in compliance with all Ministry of Transportation legislation and regulations.
- Keep accurate and up to date employees (drivers) file and training records in compliance with Ministry of Transportation, Ministry of Environment and all applicable legislative training requirement using the Region’s approve software.